It’s officially my favorite month of the year, and not only because it’s my birth month: May is Lupus Awareness Month, which is a big deal in the Soapwalla kitchen. As you may know, I was diagnosed with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus in early 2003 and had to drastically alter my life to accommodate my changing health needs. While it hasn’t been easy, I have my illness to thank for the creation of Soapwalla, as well as the adoption of a much healthier lifestyle.
Chances are, you know someone with lupus. Some sobering facts (from the Lupus Foundation of America):
* It is believed that over 5 million people worldwide suffer from lupus, over 1.5 million of whom live in the United States.
* 90 percent of individuals diagnosed with lupus are women of childbearing age (15-44), although men may be diagnosed as well.
* There are three types of lupus: systemic, cutaneous/subcutaneous, and drug-induced.
* Systemic lupus accounts for approximately 70 percent of all cases. In approximately half of these cases, a major organ (heart, lungs, kidneys, brain, or for me, liver) will be affected.
* 20 percent of people with lupus will have a parent or sibling who already has or may develop lupus.
* 40 percent of lupus patients are treated by three or more doctors, and take six or more medications to treat symptoms.
* 10-15 percent of people with lupus will die prematurely due to health complications.
What can we do? First and foremost, awareness is crucial. There are several key advocacy programs in place, please take a quick look.
Second, spread the word: talk to folks about lupus, check here for signs that you or a loved one may be suffering from lupus.
Third federal and local chapters of lupus foundations are always in need of funding. So, for the month of May, Soapwalla will have three incredible promotions in place to help raise money for the NYC SLE Lupus Foundation and the Lupus Foundation of America:
(1) through May 31st, 15 percent of the proceeds from the sale of Soapwalla’s Almond Luxe Body Polish and Resilience Pregnant Belly Oil will be donated to the NYC SLE Lupus Foundation;
(2) through May 31st, $10 from each purchase of the Mother’s Day Lavender Love and Mothers’ Day Almond Luxe gift packages will be donated to the national Lupus Foundation.
(3) through May 31st, you have the option to add $3 to your purchase of any size and flavor of indulgent bath soaking salts, which I will match, bringing the total to $6 donated to a lupus foundation with each purchase.
Please forward this email to anyone you think might be interested, and please help me celebrate Lupus Awareness Month by talking with friends and family members about this illness.
Don’t hesitate to contact me with questions, and I look forward to working with you this month!
Rachel, Soapwalla Chef
Feed Your Skin.